For many adults, taking control of their life includes losing weight and getting healthy through the assistance of bariatric surgery. While having weight loss surgery is a step in the right direction, ensuring that optimal results are achieved and maintained years following surgery depends upon the desire for a patient to adopt a healthy, active lifestyle. This not only includes eating the right things with the assistance of developing healthy eating habits, but also regular exercise.
In order to fully understand how obesity happens, and how most patients find themselves searching for medical tourism opportunities to help them find an affordable weight loss solution, it is imperative to know and understand the various causes of obesity. While it is not uncommon for most patients to believe that obesity is the result of overeating, that is not necessarily the truth. Once patients understand the various causes of obesity they are better prepared to make the necessary changes in their post-surgical lives.
So, what are the most common causes of obesity?
While overeating can certainly contribute to obesity, especially morbid obesity, it is rarely the sole cause. This is especially true among patients who are unable to lose the weight through conventional dieting and exercise. Aside from overeating, here are the most common causes of obesity.
- Genetics: unfortunately, some patients are prone to being obese due to their genetic makeup. Patients whose mother or father suffers from obesity are more likely to suffer from obesity themselves.
- Sedentary Lifestyle: most people simply do not get enough physical activity in during the day. This is especially true for those who work jobs that require they sit behind a desk for the majority of the day. These individuals need to be extra conscious to get enough regular exercise to combat their sedentary lifestyle. Unfortunately, most people do not get enough exercise which contributes to obesity.
- Medications: certain medications, especially some antidepressants, anticonvulsants, diabetic medications and corticosteroids can contribute to weight gain and obesity.
- Emotions: in recent years, binge eating in public has become increasingly popular. While it has recently become popular, it has been an issue among those who suffer from chronic obesity for a long time. A lot of people eat their emotions, which means that they eat when they are sad, bored, stressed, or angry, sometimes causing them to eat too much.
- Certain Diseases: patients who suffer from certain diseases such as polycystic ovary syndrome and hypothyroidism have been shown to be linked to obesity.
As you can see, there are many different causes of obesity besides overeating. If you struggle with obesity, and are ready to take back your life and take control, there is not time like the present! Contact TrueSelf Surgical today to schedule a consultation for bariatric surgery, and take the first step to living a healthy life!